My Dog is Marking in Our House! ! - Dog Training Tips
What can you do when your Fluffy is constantly picking up his leg in your home? Move?
No, I have a better idea!
What we first have to ask is why Fluffy is marking in your home. The answer goes back to the idea that Fluffy thinks he is part of a pack of animals and your home is part of their territory. What Fluffy is doing is making sure that the territory smells like him. In essence, he is leaving his calling card. The bad news is that this natural instinct can be very strong in some dogs and that this behavior will naturally occur and continue to occur. The good news is that there is a very simple way for us to take control of the situation and "manage" the smell.
Remember that Fluffy wants the territory (your home) to smell like him. All we have to do is to make sure that the smell is something pleasant to us and natural to him. What we are going to do is to use a lavender smell in the home and to have Fluffy gain a very slight smell of lavender. Now your home and Fluffy smell the same. Fluffy is happy that his territory smells like him so there is no need for him to lift his leg. You are happy because your home doesn't smell like a kennel.
So, how do you do this?
- Get some lavender Glade plug-ins and place them around your house.
- Get some of the bamboo-lavender oil holders and place them on some tables.
- Start cleaning with Lavender Fabuloso.
- Get some lavender carpet dust and use it when you are vacuuming.
Now, the house will have a very slight smell of lavender. You might not even notice the smell, but Fluffy will definitely notice the new smell.
- Go out to a Cheap Store and get a small vile of lavender oil.
- Place a few drops of the lavender oil on a terrycloth hand towel.
- Lightly pass the towel over Fluffy's fur. You want to have the lavender come in contact with the top of his fur and never his skin.
Now, Fluffy has a very, very slight sent of lavender oil. Fluffy and his territory smell the same. No more marking!