Pool Saftey Tips - Dog Training Tips
Some dogs are Olympic swimmers and some can just do the "dog paddle". That is up to them. What we can do, as good pet owners, is to assure their safety in the pool. Here are some tips.
Can WE teach your dog to swim?
- MAKE SURE YOU PERFORM ALL THESE STEPS IN A CALM ENVIRONMENT! NO SCREAMING KIDS (OR ADULTS) IN OR AROUND THE POOL!
- Don't assume that your dog "wants to swim". Some water dogs hate the water and others can't wait to jump in. If you force your dog into the water, you will create a negative, physical experience that could harm your dog as well as his trust and respect for you.
- Have your dog on a leash and slowly coax him into the water.
- Hold him next to you and keep him calm.
- Slowly guide him around the pool and back to the steps.
- Repeat the above process several times.
- Now, when you are in the water with him, gently let him go so that he can swim under his own power.
- Passively guide him back to the steps to get out.
- Repeat this process several times.
- Practice this for several days until he naturally goes to the steps without your guidance.
- Once he has accomplished this, have him jump in the pool (away from the steps).
- If he does not go back to the steps, guide him back.
- Repeat this process until he can jump in the pool and go back without guidance.
- Keep it slow!
Once you have successfully accomplished the above steps, your dog should be safe around the pool. As always, we never encourage leaving your dog unattended around the pool.